Friday 14 February 2014

Queenly Connections

When Queen Elizabeth II announced the celebration of her 60 years of reign, I thought it would be fun to send her a copy of the article I had written about Carolyn Sadowska, who impersonates Her Majesty.


On the 13th of April, 2012, I received the following letter from Windsor Castle, acknowledging receipt of my correspondence and enclosing a lovely brochure commemorating the Queen's 60 years as monarch:





Needless to say I was very thrilled and grateful to receive this now-treasured letter.  But hey, I'm not finished yet!  

Recently my thoughts turned to Carolyn Sadowska and I asked Ken to check on the internet to see if he could find any mention of her.  There she was! with an update of her life, so we sent her an update of my recent contact with the real Queen.

We were thrilled to receive the following reply:

"I am writing to you from Nepal where I have been coming for several months at a time for the past few years, trekking, drawing, writing, learning the language, etc.  I feel very fortunate that Expo 86 and Jimmy Pattison gave my performing career a significant boost.  To this day I continue to perform at special events and it is still an adventure.  Occasionally events come up for me around the world so I've enjoyed visits to a great many places across Canada and the USA as well as further afield to Tokyo, Barcelona, Dubai and Manila.  Most of all it has been tremendously gratifying to make a living making people laugh and have fun.  Thanks again for taking the time to write.  It was very kind of you to do so.  Regards, Carolyn."

But the story of royal connections doesn't end there! Recently I told our nephew's wife, Elaine, this story and she had an interesting bit to add.  When she lived in England years ago, she assisted the Queen's veterinarian in caring for the royal corgis.  


One little corgi had a severely damaged leg and a decision had to be made regarding amputation.  The Queen, wearing a comfy coat and headscarf, arrived at the veterinarian's clinic for a consultation.  Elaine was captivated by her Majesty, especially when the Queen invited her for tea! Unfortunately this meeting never took place as Elaine developed a severe case of laryngitis.  

Goes to prove, once again, what a small world this is...

No comments:

Post a Comment